English | Español

Latest News

ALERT: Some refunds will be delayed this year

If you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit and/or the Additional Child Tax Credit, a new law that takes effect in 2017 means that the IRS cannot issue your refund before February 15.

Plan ahead if your refund will be delayed.

No one can speed up your refund – be sure to file early with the City’s free tax help.

Click here for a full list of locations where free tax help is available.

Read more about the refund delays here on the IRS website.

ALERT: You may need to renew your ITIN

Who Has to Renew an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)
There are two groups of ITIN holders who may need to renew their ITINs so they can be used on returns filed in 2017:

  • Unused ITINs. ITINs not used at least once on a federal income tax return in the last three years (covering 2013, 2014, or 2015) will no longer be valid to use on a tax return as of January 1, 2017. ITIN holders in this group who need to file a tax return in 2017 will need to renew their ITINs. You can begin renewing your ITIN now.

  • Expiring ITINs. ITINs issued before 2013 will begin expiring this year, and taxpayers will need to renew them on a rolling basis. The first ITINs that will expire under this schedule are those with middle digits of 78 and 79 (Example: 9XX-78-XXXX). The IRS mailed letters to affected taxpayers starting in August to inform them of the need to renew their ITINs if they need to file a tax return and explain next steps. The schedule for expiration and renewal of ITINs that do not have middle digits of 78 and 79 will be announced at a future date.

How will I know if my ITIN is expiring?
You will likely receive a letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) indicating that your ITIN or the ITIN of someone on your tax return will expire on January 1, 2017. The expirations are occurring as part of a new law implemented this year.

See frequently asked questions on ITIN expiration.

How to Renew an ITIN
Only ITIN holders who need to file a tax return or who will appear on a filed return need to renew their ITINs. Others do not need to take any action.

There are three methods taxpayers can use to submit their W-7 application package to renew their ITIN. They can:

  1. Mail their Form W-7, along with original identification documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them, to the IRS address listed on the form (identification documents will be returned within 60 days),

  2. Use one of the many IRS-authorized Certified Acceptance Agents or Acceptance Agents around the country, or 
  4. In advance, call and make an appointment at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing original identification documents to the IRS.

The Center for Economic Progress and Ladder Up offer free ITIN renewal assistance for families earning up to $55,000 and individuals earning up to $30,000 annually. Both organizations are Certified Acceptance Agents. Capacity is limited and appointments will be made on a first come, first served basis.

Download the City of Chicago’s ITIN Renewal Flyer


For more information, please contact:

(312) 252-0280

(312) 995-1140