WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE TAX HELP?
- Families earning up to $58,000 annually
- Individuals earning up to $32,000 annually
- Taxpayers who need to file amendments (Form 1040X or Form IL-1040X) must make an appointment for our summer sessions.
- We will prioritize 2018 & 2022 (tax year to expire and current year).
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR TAX HELP?
- Those who have income from rental property
- Those who filed bankruptcy in the year they wish to file
- Those that received Form 1099-A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property)
- Other, less common situations are out of scope. If you are unsure whether or not Ladder Up can prepare your return, please leave a message at (312) 409-1555 with your tax situation and question or check Ladder Up’s website: http://www.goladderup.org/TAP
WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD I BRING TO A TAX SITE?
- Original Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse, and ALL other individuals listed on your tax return
- A valid form of photo identification (for you and your spouse if you are filing a joint return)
- Bank routing and account numbers for your savings account, checking account, and/or prepaid card.
- Verification of health insurance if purchased through the Marketplace (Form 1095-A)
- Copy of last year’s tax return, if available.
- If Married Filing Jointly, BOTH spouses must be present to have the return prepared
Year-End Income Statements
- Form W-2 for each job
- Forms: 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, or 1099-K for self-employment income, such as rideshare driving with Uber/Lyft
- 1099 forms for retirement, Social Security, unemployment, interest, dividends, stock sales, and miscellaneous income
- Economic Impact Payment letter (3rd stimulus check)
- Advanced Child Tax Credit letter (Notice L6419)
Expenses and Credits
- Record of educational expenses you paid for children in grades K-12
- Tuition expenses paid for you or your children to attend college or university (Form 1098-T)
- Student loan interest paid (Form 1098-E)
- Childcare expenses: Provide name, address, and tax identification number (Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number)
- Homeowners: Mortgage interest and property taxes paid
- Self-employed taxpayers: Job-related expenses
For taxpayers that need to visit a free tax site located outside of Chicago, please visit Ladder Up’s website for more information: http://www.goladderup.org/locations
IF YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR FREE TAX HELP