English | Español

Latest News

ALERT: Some refunds will be delayed this year

If you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and/or the Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS cannot issue your refund before February 15.

Plan ahead if your refund will be delayed.

No one can speed up your refund. Be cautious of predatory lenders and stick with people you trust.

Even if you think the IRS may delay your refund, we encourage you to file early. Filing early can help prevent identity thieves from filing a fraudulent return in your name.

The City offers FREE tax PREP in the city starting Saturday, January 29, 2022. Click here for a full list of locations for FREE TAX HELP is available.

ALERT: You may need to renew your ITIN

Who Has to Renew an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)?

There are three groups of ITIN holders who may need to renew their ITINs so they can be used on returns filed in 2020:

  • Unused ITINs. ITINs not used at least once on a federal income tax return in the last three years (Covering 2017, 2018, or 2019) will no longer be valid to use on a tax return as of January 1, 2021. ITIN holders in this group who need to file a tax return in 2021 will need to renew their ITINs. You can begin renewing your ITIN now.
  • Expiring ITINs. ITINs issued before 2013 have begun expiring, and taxpayers will need to renew them on a rolling basis. The ITINs that will expire on December 31, 2020, are those with middle digits of 88, 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, or 99 (Example: 9XX-83-XXXX). The IRS mailed letters to affected taxpayers to inform them of the need to renew their ITINs if they need to file a tax return and to explain next steps. ITIN holders in this group who need to file a tax return in 2021will need to renew their ITINs. You can begin renewing your ITIN now.

How will I know if my ITIN is expiring?

You will likely receive a letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) indicating that your ITIN or the ITIN of someone on your tax return will expire on December 31, 2020.

How to Renew an ITIN
Only ITIN holders who need to file a tax return or who will appear on a filed return need to renew their ITINs. Others do not need to take any action.

There are three methods taxpayers can use to submit their W-7 application package to renew their ITIN. They can:

  1. Use one of the many IRS-authorized Certified Acceptance Agents or Acceptance Agents around the country (see information below about free services offered by Certified Acceptance Agent Ladder Up), or

  2. Mail a completed Form W-7, along with original identification documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them, to the IRS address listed on the form (identification documents will be returned within 60 days), or
  3. In advance, call and make an appointment at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing original identification documents to the IRS.

Ladder Up is a Certified Acceptance Agent and offers free ITIN renewal assistance for families earning up to $57,000 and individuals earning up to $30,000 annually. Capacity is limited and appointments will be made on a first-come, first-served basis.

For more information, please contact:

(312) 409-1555